Saturday, April 14, 2007

Saturday: On Constitution Avenue, The National Cherry Blossom Parade, Brrrrrr!

It was a chilly, overcast day on Constitution Avenue in the nation's capital, but the parade went on as scheduled, since it had already been cancelled once, due to freezing cold weather.

I was here with the girls. It was a lovely event with lots of energized marching bands, floats, and groups of performers and honorees kicking the spring season off in D.C. Above are two ladies in the court of the queen of the festival.

The history of the festival is found here, and goes back to the first cherry blossom trees the Japanese government gave to the United States in 1912.

A knight in shining armor, undoubtely from King Arthur's Roundtable. Someone catch and clone him and send him to Iraq for the surge.

The two Cherry Blossom queens, one from Japan and one the United States, where our winner is chosen from among 49 other ladies by lottery. Our queen is from Missouri this year. Both are studying to get advanced degrees in medicine and business, in their respective countries. And here at the end of the parade, both are ready for a warm cup of tea!

The men who keep downtown D.C. looking impeccable and like a nation's capital should. They were having a great time and looked dashing in their red jackets.
Gauchos from the exotic region of a state called Maryland.
Sally, you did it again, deary. It was another wonderful downtown D.C. adventure. But I didn't publish the photo of you and me with the clowns. But I'll email it to ya later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I so enjoyed these photos and me thinks I would love seeing the other one you mentioned to your friend! LOL Thanks for including the link to the history of the parade. I enjoyed that also.

Webutante said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I didn't include the photo because we talk politics and I am going to include some of her inside insights in our conversations soon and don't want to blow her identity....