Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Friend E-Mails Her Tolerance For TV Is Getting Thinner

TV – BIG DUMB BROTHER

Things were better back when TV was in one room – usually the den (rarely the living room) and everyone had their own radio or record player. We would gather together to watch our favorite show and the adults would wait for Cronkite to sum up the country’s news.

Then something happened.

Today, our “big dumb brothers hang or stand in every room – sleek, thin, silver or black. Squawking and hawking at us from our bathrooms, kitchens, bedrooms, bars, airports, even cars 24 hours a day. Anna Nichols’s baby, boy scout disappearance, runaway bride, child snatchers and political bashing are our one-size-fits-all rap entertainment world news.

The surfing thumb is always seeking something. Attention deficit is the chronic national disease of “big dumb brother." Are we in control because we hold the gun? Or are we just plain addicted to the mind-numbing drum roll of canned laughter and constant comment?

Is there a cure for this national addiction to Big Dumb Brother, to the noise, disturbance, hawking insults and idiocies? I think so. There is a kid on the block who is growing up with us – the C O M P U T E R.

We're once again gaining control, choosing what we read, researching, exploring, communicating and creating.

**********

Thanks, SB, for sending this. I couldn't agree more. I hope you'll follow this up with more postings.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful Insight! I agree wholeheartedly.

Rita Loca said...

I thinks so too. After years of no TV while living in the jungle, I am abhorred by the bombardment of noise and images on TV. I know the internet is a dangerous place, but I find it easier to control, by using filters and accountability programs, than the TV. Half of the time it is the commercials that are offensive, so even a decent program gets polluted.

Anonymous said...

We ditched our television 6 months ago...and could not be happier. If I want to watch a movie, I just get a DVD and stick it in the computer and watch it. I have started a small home business and have made friends all over the world via my blog. It was the best thing I have done in ages...I do listen to more music and radio, and it feels like time has slowed down a bit, too. I can't recommend it enough.