Friday, October 13, 2006

The Company they Keep--Corker vs. Ford in Tennessee

They're bringing in the big guns. And the heavy artillery.

U S Senate campaigns here are ramping up by bringing in national figures to help with their tight races.

Republican Bob Corker is on the trail with Ken Mehlman, chairman of the Republican National Committee, while Democrat Harold Ford partners with John Sweeney head of the nation's largest federation of labor unions, the AFL-CIO.

Sure, having some big wigs come in to campaign may help your morale and esprit de corps. But in the end for me it always comes back to principles and standards. What does each man's life stand for up to now? And, what does he say he stands for if elected to be a US Senator? And how does that stack up again what I think are the most important issues facing our country?

Corker has had a multitude of life experiences, both private and public, as a doer; whereas Ford has a narrower menu of experiences that involve big family politics, big labor unions and big government.

The War on Terror is no joke and even if all other things were equal, I'm not voting for anyone I think might go soft and fuzzy when the going gets tough, tougher and toughest in this global war. I want someone who will stand firm against the terrorist threat and the main stream media (MSM). And, I want someone who remembers history well enough to take some lessons from our nation's past.

Bob Corker is the man I support for all these reasons.

1 comment:

Serr8d said...

I agree, especially on the 'big guns' theme.

As an NRA member, I checked the website for local ratings; and was surprised to find that Harold Ford was rated "B" (of course, Bob Corker had a solid "A" rating, and got the endorsement).

After checking around yesterday at Bob Pope's Gun Show at the Fairgrounds, I learned that Harold Ford had an "F" rating just 3 or 4 years ago. The turn-around came at about the same time as Ford's decision to run for the Senate.

This reminds me of the Al Gore turnaround: he gets elected based on his local postulations and core beliefs, and when cornered in Washington drops his character at the door and becomes...well, you know the rest of that story.

I'll probably have to stick with Corker, Frank Cagle notwithstanding...