Thursday, October 26, 2006

Afternoon Museum Fix at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C.



First, we were off to the Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery to see portraits of some of American's greatest historical figures. The banner in front of the museum here features Pocahontas looking like a British Grande Dame, which it turns out she was, among other things. Going to places like this helps me bone up on my early Amerian history, and I realize how much I have to learn and relearn. Why is it the older I get the more fascinated I become with history, especially with this country's great history and the many stories of its people?




Then we walked down Pennsylvania Avenue for a late afternoon snack at the Willard Hotel, one of D.C.'s great old landmarks and world-class center for power smoozing. A wonderful day all around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Webutante !! Great post here. I'm a serious history buff and this is truly one parallel I had not heard yet but that makes a great point (just as good as the WWII parallel). Love your bio too !!