Friday, March 02, 2007

Dazzling New Photos of Saturn


When I was a little girl, I would visit my grandparents in Georgia. One of the things I most loved was to sneak into my grandfather's grand library with my cousin, Allan. There, we would find and peruse some of the most wonderful books on every subject imaginable. It was thrilling for me. His was a true intellectual's library, the likes of which I had never seen. I felt like Alice in Wonderland.
Allan, a year younger, always went straight to the Greek and Roman art books to see all the naked men and women and show them gleefully to me. He had every page marked as to where the next Aphrodite or David or Zeus statutes were depicted. We giggled endlessly at the shameless display of male and female body parts.
But when we had gotten our fill, I would begin to explore other volumes, and inevitably come to my favorite tome of all: the huge astronomy books featuring chapters on each of the planets in our solar system with magnificent illustrations.
There, in that book I would bury myself for hours on end, dreaming of what lay ahead and far out in the universe. And pondering where God might be living out there somewhere. And trying to comtemplate eternity.
Seeing these thrilling photos of Saturn today reminded me of my early fascination with the planets in my grandfather's library and then later in school. These new photos still thrill and dazzle me.

No comments: