Monday, June 04, 2007

Heartbreaka! Vandy Loses Monday Night to Michigan 4-3

The end of the game, the regionals and the winning season for Vanderbilt came Monday night at the bottom of the 10th in overtime. Vanderbilt pitcher David Price, the #1 professional draft choice in the nation, gave away a homerun to a pinch hitter (with a .187 batting average!) for Michigan in the top of the 10th, after sizzling in the 9th. Vandy never got back its groove. It's 1, 2, 3 strikes you're out...at the ole ball game. What a shame!

The playoff was nonetheless spectacular. I don't think baseball gets any better than this, in spite of the loss. Great fun until the very end and a beautiful night to boot. Vanderbilt has shone this season as the #1 college team in the nation. Head coach Tim Corbin is to be congratulated. The sun went down this evening late in the 10th, but it will rise again. And shine. This team is a class act!

The crowd went absolutely wild in the bottom of the 9th with two men on bases. Vandy scored two points to tie the game 3-3, and to send the game into a tie-breaking 10th inning!

So, take me out to the ballgame, take me out with the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack, I don't care if I never get back!


HG tells me the man leading the Cubs fans at Wrigley Stadium in the video above is named Harry Carey.

No comments: